Position: Content Creation Coordinator (Position has been taken)
Start date: November 16th, 2020
Application deadline: November 6th, 2020
To apply: send (cover letter + CV + content portfolio) to email@example.com
Note: All the positions the magazine are voluntary and unpaid.
Critical Edges is a collaborative magazine edited and published by critical students from all over the world. Students from different universities encountered each other during conferences and collaborations in the Critical Edge Alliance in 2016 and 2017. We created the magazine and continue developing it to offer diverse perspectives, stories, analysis, and artistic expressions on global topics and issues that affect all of us. The students working in the magazine are creating ideas and action to fight existing injustice and oppression, through co-creating knowledge and distributing relevant, critical, and popular content for students located in different campuses all around the world. We aim to become a leading global voice for critical students by collaborating with editors, writers, scholars, artists, and activists across different universities and disciplines to build a critical magazine.
Our main operation and coordination organ is the Global Editorial Board, and we are expanding the Board to improve our capacity to create original and relevant content to a wider student audience.
We are looking for energetic, skilled, informed and creative members to join our magazine as a coordinator for content creation. You will be part of the Global Editorial Board, and shoulder the responsibility to oversee and facilitate a diverse and large team to produce various types of content collaboratively.
Please refer to this page and find the description of our governance structure.
We expect that you have some experience in:
- Writing and editing from working with e.g. magazines, journals, media, curation, or other forms of publications and knowledge production
- A collective or self organizing group, or in political activism, student politics, etc.
- Collaborative and open knowledge production in an international environment
We expect that you are/can:
- Work inclusively with a diverse of group of people from around the world who have different interests, expertise, and worldviews
- Have a broad theoretical and historical understanding of the intellectual developments in the public sphere, in the academic world, as well as in the traditions of Critical Theories
- Sensitive and well informed of the various topics and genres (art & multimedia) of content in knowledge production
- Creative and effective in applying academic and theoretical knowledge in practice
- Facilitate the generative and collaborative process of content development, i.e. turn ideas into content outcome
- Planning timely and communicating frequently with team members in terms of team goals and progress
- Have good project management skills to monitor and guide simultaneous projects in content creation
- Able to collaborate professionally, responsibility, and timely with other colleagues
- Participate in the meetings and coordination in the Global Editorial Board, including coordination with the Editing Team, Publishing & Social Media Teams, and Community and Outreach Team
- To set up, lead, and provide support to in-house writers / artist / social media content teams
- To make plans and track progress of different writers’ contributions, leading to an outcome of publishing at least 2 articles each month
- To broaden the overall scope for content in Critical Edges, e.g. articles, art, design, and media content, etc.
- To facilitate the team to discuss, develop, expand, and implement the “Editorial Line” with the entire content team, in a balanced way, that does not exclude viewpoints, but at the same time does not compromise with “criticality”
- To support writers to develop writing styles and narratives for different genres, eg. essays, experiences, interviews etc.
- To plan (together with team) for the Focus every 4 months
- Help set up a temporary Focus team every semester, and let them write a call of submissions
- Coordinate the writers to produce at least one Editorial Article per Focus, and more if necessary
- Recruit and integrate new writers from diverse backgrounds with the help from Community and Outreach Coordinators
- Establish clear work process and formalized documentations in the above mentioned tasks
We hope that you have these digital skills and access:
- Able to use Email for communication
- Able to use WhatsApp for communication
- Able to work with Google Drive / Google Documents
- Able to use Video Conference Tools (Zoom, Skype, Hangouts, etc.)
- Able to use online tools for project management and collaboration
What is in it for you?
- You will gain a platform where you can turn your critical ideas into reality that has positive impact to a wide range of audiences
- You will be inspired and challenged to in the process of open knowledge production
- You will be connected to a global student community which opens up opportunities for collaboration and learning from each other
- You will be supported and encouraged to take initiatives and work on what is meaningful to you
- You will gain leadership and facilitation experiences with an international team
- You will help us change the world, engage and inspire many young people
Work Term and hours:
- One Semester / 6 months
- Minimum work hours: 5-10 hours per week
- With break/holiday time
- With possibilities of extension
Note. We might search for an assistant coordinator in the future depending on the volume of tasks and needs of the team.
Apply to join the Content Creation Team
If you are interested in the work listed above, but find that the coordination role is too much to take on for you. You could alternatively join our team and start working on a smaller workload. Please send us your CV and cover letter. We look forward to hearing from you!
Updated on October 22, 2020.